Sunday, January 29, 2006

Magic

In the past year I added magic to my show. I already had 30 minutes of good juggling material but it was enough so I decided to add some magic. I've got 4 magic routines now that give me a nice 45 minute show. I've performed the magic about a dozen times in the past year. Mostly I perform my 15 or 30 minute juggling-only shows. But I'd like to sell my big 45 minute show more because it's more money.

On the other hand, it's a big shlep. Whereas my juggling show fits easily in my trunk, the magic props take up my entire backseat. I've got a slightly reduced version that's a bit easier but I've got a major version that also requires a roofrack. The 30 minute juggling show can usually be carried in one trip (or two if I provide a sound system) from the car and the magic can take about 4 or 5 more.

But, let's talk about magic itself. I don't love magic. It's not nearly as rewarding as juggling. I don't practice nor do I do learn magic other than what I think I may use in my show. It's not much of a challenge, either, except for presentation skills. And when you know the piddly secret, it's really not all that exciting. It's basically good for showing off and it does serve that purpose in my show.

Here are the tricks I perform:
1. Throughout my show I display a big empty box and then produce more and more props from it.
2. I take a watermelon from a thin briefcase.
3. I have a great presentation of a card trick.
4. a Houdini-style chain escape.

I'm pretty much done with magic. I'm not really looking for more effects. I will tighten up the presentations a bit, though. I may add something with the boa constrictor I'm buying next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home