Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Juggling at Work

Well, since I soon won't have work to write about, I'll write about my experiences now.

So, I seem to have influenced a lot of people around me to juggle. At every place I've worked, there's a nice handful of people who have learned to juggle. At my previous company, I think more than 50% of the people could juggle by the time I left. There were even people working on 4 and 5 balls. I keep a lot of balls on my desk and people are often coming by to practice. Several have even bought sets of balls.

One good thing about my current place of employment has been that the ceilings are about 5 or more meters high. That means I can easily run siteswaps such as 95551 while sitting at my desk and have even pulled off higher siteswaps. It's nice that I've been able to get away with juggling so much while at work. I also sometimes go to the roof of my building at lunch and juggle when the weather is good.

My best juggling while working experience was at a company I worked at 7 years ago. My job is software Quality Assurance and I once had to test lots of different variations on installations. The product at the time was on floppy disks and we had one version that had like 8 floppies. I would insert a disk and juggle for a minute or two while waiting for it to ask for the next disk. I would get a good half hour of juggling in for each iteration that I was testing. It was sad when they switched to CD installs.

5 Comments:

At January 25, 2006 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed, i'm a software engineer and always have at least 6 balls on my desk and maybe about 5-6 coworkers have the basic cascade down along with 1-2 simple tricks. one of them is working on 4 and has flashed 5.

i find it very relaxing doing maybe 5mins every 2 hours. it loosens up the shoulders (especially backcrosses) and allows me to "reboot" my brain for a fresh start at problem solving.


hsj,
iceland

 
At January 25, 2006 4:00 PM, Blogger Leah Goodman said...

I wish I worked with you.
I'm the juggler at my company. how sad is that?

 
At January 27, 2006 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a second I thought you flashed 7 floppies or something like that :)

 
At January 28, 2006 1:03 AM, Blogger Scott Seltzer said...

Tarmo, I do sometimes juggle stuff around the office - mostly office supplies like pencils, staplers, scissors, CDs, etc. I particularly like to balance stuff on my nose like pens, CD cases, and rulers. I'll even admit that I've found out that computer mice make good pois.

I once thought up a routine with computer equipment and came up with droplines like blaming a bug or virus or even Microsoft (everyone's favorite scapegoat).

 
At January 28, 2006 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once landed a job with Intel (they have a huge facility in Kiryat Gat) who payed me indecent amounts of money to present a routine with computer equipment, to celebrate their giving away a new (crummy) computer to every employee on the facility. Among other things I pulled out the (rigged and reinforced) keyboard, placed it on the cylindrical (fake) waste paper basket and swung two mice on a rola bola to the sound of "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys.
There was tons of other stuff in the routine (including juggling CDs and randomly ripping PCBs and wires from the inside of the (rigged) computer and getting electrocuted.
It really was tons of fun to come up with crazy ideas...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home