Thursday, January 12, 2006

Reactions

I've been talking to friends for a long time about my planned desertion. It's been interesting to hear reactions.

I've gotten a pretty mixed response. Many think I'm being irresponsible, but I have a special appreciation for my friends who support my decision and understand that it's important to pursue my passion. Although one friend (who supported me) called the others idiots, I'll try to give them the benefit of the doubt and just say that they are very concerned - and I'm glad to have friends that care about me. Some seem to be upset because they're potentially affected, people like coworkers and women I go out with. I can't really blame them.

One coworker pointed out the other night something that I hadn't thought of: perhaps I'm having a midlife crisis. I read a bunch of articles about it and a wild career change is certainly a common symptom (thankfully, I don't have any of the other, more destructive ones). From the point of view of the "idiots" I can see how they think I'm making a crisis-induced decision. But from where I'm standing, I'm just living my dream. Also, knowing that the article I posted yesterday was written about 10 years ago suggests that it's not a rash decision in response to my graying hair.

2 Comments:

At January 16, 2006 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hi-Tech world is a ever changing world where usually things change at least once every 2 years. I wouldn't look at it as a mid-life crisis, more like a change to see what something else is like. Worse case scenario you get a little burnt and you head back to the comfort of a Hi-Tech job. Best case scenario, you develop great marketing skills, knowledge on how to close on a job and be profitable along with you being on a weekly show about juggling on Channel 1 (Israel's Broadcasting channel.
Most full-time performers only complain about the travel involved after many years, but there are some who setup shop in a small area. Never once did I hear that it's not possible to be succesful at it.
Everyone already knows you are an amazing juggler. When you put your mind to it, nothing should stop you.

 
At January 16, 2006 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the FKB, 18.5.

I got everyone except for 20 which I never want to be, though I have married and divorced one and my son is one.

39 (dedicated) for the aptitude test


whereas I'm a 60.94% at the juggling lifestyle quiz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home