Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Appreciative Kids

I've had a few cute responses from kids to my show over the years.

Last night a little 4 or 5 year old girl came over and gave me a couple pieces of bubble gum. Later, she offered me a bottle of Coke. It was so sweet that she felt like she wanted to do something special for me.

Last night was a bit pressured because the organizer called me the day before and told me that she heard from someone that my show was terrible. The person had seen me some six years ago and was probably right (that's when I used to just kind of practice on stage with background music). Anyway, I reassured my client that I've improved a lot and I offered her a guarantee. Luckily, the show went very well and the woman was very appreciative afterwards. Whew!

One of my favorite memories was a Chanuka performance I did last year. After the show, a little boy came up and gave me a hug. It was the sweetest thing.

And of course there's my kids. They're my biggest fans. The little one is so cute: as soon as I put on my performing clothes, she immediately asks, "Eggs?" And the older one begs to go to my shows. I think they've seen it 20 times but they still love it.

1 Comments:

At January 25, 2006 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

Glad to hear the shows are going down well. Kids reaaly do make a great audience.

About 8 years ago I took a summaer job at a Kids Holiday camp in London. It was my job to do shows for the kids and teach them some juggling. It was exhausting work, working five or six sessions a day. I also only got paid about 100 pounds a week, however the job was very reqarding.

I can still remember the first day I arrived. I had never done a show for anyone before, however I had seen lots of street shows and knew all the old favourite gags and routines.

I had only just signed in at the front office when I found myself doing an improptu performance. Once I got going I found that my nerves disappeared. Kids are so easy to work with and will interact with you and encourage you. Within a week I was able to build a one hour show, mostly through improvisation. On the first day the kids called me "Colin the Clown", and the name stuck with me for each year that I returned.

I also received many hugs and had a constant trail of kids behind me. I was the most popular of all the staff that worked there.

Happy days :-)

Anyway, I have some software to work on ....

*sighs*

Colin E.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home