Friday, January 27, 2006

New Clubs

It's pretty well known that I've been using and recommending Radical Fish clubs since I got them as my first set up clubs back in 1993. My current set is in pretty bad shape so I recently ordered 10 more. They should be arriving in the next couple weeks.

At the same time, I ordered 5 yellow Dube Klassics just for the hell of it. I figured I'd get something really durable and it'd be fun to go for some fat clubs.

The Klassics already arrived a few weeks back and I'm loving them. The first night it took a good 30 minutes to get used to them (compared to nearly any other club which I can generally pick up cold and easily do 5 clubs with) but by the end of the night I was doing 5 club tricks with about the same reliability as with my Fish. So, switching from some of the thinnest, lightest clubs, to something fat and heavy wasn't a serious problem. Even after 3 hours that first night, I didn't feel any more fatigued than usual.

There are a few issues:
  • The one-piece is slippery and getting accurate kickups requires more effort.
  • Yeah, the handles are hard. But if you catch properly, it's not a problem. My biggest problem is when they fall on my toes (I mostly wear sandals) or last night when I got a nice clunk on the head.
  • Scissors catches are a bit harder than I'm used to. Also, throwing from scissors back up doesn't flip well for me so even with a big swing I have to throw quite high to get a double.
  • Clean finishes of 3 into one hand are a bit more effort because they're much wider and since they don't have cushiony handles, if you don't absorb the catch properly then the last incoming club can bounce off the held clubs.
One particularly fun thing I tried the first night was to juggle 3 Klassics and 2 Fish. It wasn't terribly hard but I can tell you that visually the Fish are definitely toothpicks compared to the Klassics.

I'm really hooked on these Klassics. Last night was the 4th time I practiced with them and I'm 100% used to them. I always start my juggling sessions with 5 clubs and I had no problem last night from my first run. I spent most of the 4.5 hours at juggling club working on 5 clubs and had excellent success with 744 and 645 and also getting a bit more consistent with 3 backcrosses back to a juggle.

Anyone want to buy 10 brand-new yellow Radical Fish that are arriving in a couple weeks?

3 Comments:

At January 28, 2006 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
I don't know if you know but I also used to juggle Radical Fish before I got my Albatrosses. Once I got used to the weight and size they really felt more reliable in the air, and if you are now bent on performing (which I know you are) then the big clubs are way more visual.

 
At January 29, 2006 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

airflight, american, or american XL?

 
At January 29, 2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Scott Seltzer said...

KLASSIC™ AMERICAN CLUBS - STANDARD MODEL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home