Friday, February 03, 2006

Learning From Giraffes

There are two main things I've been thinking about learning to ride the giraffe unicycle the other night.

1. Fear is the biggest barrier to success. Fear of failing, rejection, humiliation, embarrassment, what others think, etc. have a huge impact on how we live our lives. Specifically for unicycle, the hardest part was overcoming the fear of falling. Yaakov even suggested intentional falls so I can learn how to fall properly and also to see that it's not scary. The thing is that it was scary. Riding next to the wall even without touching it wasn't so hard. But to ride out in the open was truly intimidating. My body actually knew what to do but it took a bit of practicing before my confidence increased and I was able to do just let myelf go. But once I did, it was amazing. I rode half a dozen times before I even had my first semi-controlled fall.

2. It feels great to do the impossible. I really never thought I'd be able to succeed at this but, I'm a juggler and I love a challenge. There is nothing like the feeling of success. The greatest thing about juggling is that you have so many opportunities to exceed your expectations. What a great hobby!

2 Comments:

At February 04, 2006 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it really is a funny thing about unicycles - the higher they are the easier it is (from the technical aspect) to ride them: Just like balancing a longer object, they fall slower and are thus easier to return to balance. However, despite the physics, learning to ride a giraffe is decidedly more intimidating than learning to ride a regular unicycle, and that is solely due to the fear issue.
Another related point is the way you always succeed better in practice than when showing a trick or routine for the first time to someone watching. It's that self fulfilling prophecy of "oh no, I just hope I won't drop! ... oops!".

 
At February 07, 2006 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When i was learnig how to snowboard, I could enjoy it after
i fell down severly. through that
i learned how to fall properly and safely. and i can manage to survive as well ;-)

impossible,,,
when i first watched the 5 ball jugling video, i thought it's not
mine. pursuit throughout my whole life could not, i thought at the time, lead to that wonder. As of
now my guess was totally wrong.

juggling helps me love myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home