Monday, February 13, 2006

Snake Lover

I don't want you to think that I don't love juggling (because I do, I really do), but I'm posting again off the normal topic.

I grew up in Arizona and spent a lot of my youth playing outside in the desert. Among my favorite pasttimes was turning over stones and looking for interesting insects and wildlife. One of the best finds was snakes. I learned a lot about snakes, particularly how to capture them carefully and how to identify and avoid the dangerous ones. Several even turned into pets. The one I had the longest was a longnose snake names Clyde (named after a snake in a poem by Shel Silverstein).

This was the perfect pet since my mother was allergic to furry animals. Also, snakes are good for kids because they're very low maintenance compared to something like a dog. You only have to feed snakes about once/week, they're quiet, they don't need to be taken for walks (slithers?), and they don't need to be given baths.

For many years, I've been wanting to get another snake. More recently, I was considering a ball python. I did a lot of research online and got really excited about the thought of buying one. I found some locals with experience with snakes to talk with and found out about a store specializing in exotic pets. A few weeks ago I visited with a friend of mine who is also hoping that his parents will get him a ball python for his bar mitzvah in April.

At the store, I enjoyed the ball python but after seeing the boa constrictors on display, decided that that might be better. In the shop, I met a woman snake owner who also recommended the boa. She actually lives nearby so I called her a few days later and arranged to see her snake. After hanging out with her for a while and discussing things, I became more sure that I needed to get a boa.

I called the shop the next day and they told me that they had some 4 month olds or I could wait a month and get a baby. I decided to wait. I called today and found out that there was a misunderstanding and the baby boa eggs haven't been laid yet and it'll be a few months even before they hatch. Phooey. I can either wait some more or get a medium-sized snake now. I have a feeling I'll wait.

Oh, I've got something a little bit on the topic of juggling. In one of my shows, I do some magic and throughout the show take different props from an "empty" box. I was thinking of maybe reaching in once expecting to take out more juggling props and coming out with a handful of snake. It could be a funny surprise. I've seen similar stuff done with rubber toys, but a real snake could be cool.

As long as I'm here, I can ask ya'll to help me choose a name for my future. Some of the names I've thought of so far include:

  • Nachshon - Nachash is the Hebrew word for snake and Nachshon is a biblical name. I'm not sure if the name is too obvious to a Hebrew speaker (for example, in English many children's books have a Sammy the Snake - in Hebrew kids books are all snakes named Nachshon?)? Perhaps a different Hebrew or biblical name could be nice?
  • Fluffy - just so I could tell people I have a pet named Fluffy and they'll assume I have a bunny.
  • Shorty - have you ever seen a tall snake?
  • Girldae - ok, this is a subtle one. Boidae is the scientific name for the boa family. I figured if I got a female, I'd replace the Boi with girl to get a new name.
  • Mr. ????? - Pets with titles can be cool. Perhaps Dr. or something?

Of course I'll have to see the snake and get to know it a little before I decide on a name. Sometimes the skin patterns or personality of the snake can suggest something.

If you've got any brilliant suggestions, please put them in the comments.

6 Comments:

At February 13, 2006 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never give human names to animals!
Fluffy and Shortly - boring.
Mr. Rope sounds nice, at least for me.
Irena

 
At February 13, 2006 6:25 PM, Blogger Leah Goodman said...

Sir Wraps-a-lot, Rapsy for short

 
At February 14, 2006 12:51 AM, Blogger JDateJoe said...

How about Tiny? Or Medusa? Snuggles? Thally? Litha?

Call him Indiana Jones, and if it is a girl Indianna Jones.

What about Brooke Lynn?

 
At February 14, 2006 6:29 AM, Blogger JDateJoe said...

I got it! Lilith! :)

 
At February 15, 2006 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like name "Kwazimodo", too

Irena

 
At December 26, 2016 9:21 AM, Blogger Scott Seltzer said...

10 years later, I thought of Boaz!

-Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home