Saturday, February 18, 2006

Learning From Nachshon

Thinking further about the name Nachshon (mentioned in one of my recent posts), I was reminded of the importance of the character in Jewish biblical history. I've even got a way to connect his story to my decision to spend less time working in an office, and more time doing things I love.

When the Israelites escaped Egypt and stood trapped up against the Red Sea, it was Nachshon who pressed forward. He stepped into the waters, started wading, and continued further into the deep waters. We all know that eventually the Red Sea split for the Jews, but it didn't occur until Nachshon pressed forward and got in as far as his nostrils. Further reading about Nachshon's bravery.

Nachson didn't sit back and wait for miracles to happen; he took initiative and caused the miracle to happen. We learn from this that good things don't come without making efforts. The bigger the risk, the bigger the potential for success.

The main purpose of this blog is to share my recent experience of quitting my comfortable hi-tech job to pursue my passions in life. I feel in many ways like Nachshon. I am taking a serious financial risk, but am starting to see the pay off. I've been semi-professional for years and get occasional phone calls for shows, but it was never enough to make me think I could quit my job. But the week I gave notice on quitting my job, it seemed that the number of phone calls doubled. And during the last week of working, I got a number of freelance computer jobs including a consistent long-term project at a company 5 minutes from my house (5 minutes in the opposite direction is actually Kibbutz Nachshon).

Ok, so I don't believe there's a metaphysical cause/effect connection here - it's really just coincidence. But it sure is inspiring to hear about people making unpopular decisions but then becoming heroes. Well, I may not have a fan club yet, but hopefully some reader someday will follow my footsteps and make their world a better place. Perhaps people will rethink their priorities and have the courage to do what is really important to themselves and what will have the most impact on their soul.

Aside from the root of name Nachshon being the the Hebrew word for snake, I think I may choose the name for my boa so I'll be reminded of the importance of controlling one's destiny.

2 Comments:

At February 19, 2006 10:35 AM, Blogger Leah Goodman said...

"Well, I may not have a fan club yet, but hopefully some reader someday will follow my footsteps and make their world a better place."

"I'm your number one fan" - Misery, Stephen King

 
At February 19, 2006 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very impressive. I am sure this encourgas many people who are in similar situations in their lives. Hazlacha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home